Skip Your Next Filling with Inlays and Onlays
Dental inlays and onlays are sometimes referred to as “indirect fillings”. They are formed from gold or porcelain to conform to an existing cavity and are bonded to the chewing surface of your teeth. Inlays are restorations that fit into the interior chewing surface of the tooth and do not cover any of the cusps (points) on the tooth. Onlays are similar, but include protective restoration to one or more cusps or the entire chewing surface of the tooth. Both are made in laboratory after the cavity is prepared (decay removed) and a mold of your tooth is taken.
Inlays and Onlays have many advantages over standard fillings or crowns, including:
- They strengthen the damaged tooth by up to 75% (where a standard composite filling can actually weaken teeth by up to 50%)
- They resist pressure from biting down and from chewing, and can last up to 50 years
- They preserve as much of your original tooth structure as possible
- They look and feel natural, and retain their true shape, size, colour, and position after bonding and curing
- None of the cleaning challenges associated with crowns or extractions
- Much less invasive treatment than fillings or crowns
Call or come in to Stonegate Dental today to see if durable gold or porcelain inlays or onlays are the solution to your next cavity!